Surgeon of the Fleet.
523 In addition to the duties prescribed by law, and by the "Instructions for the government of medical officers," the Surgeon of the Fleet will be required:
1. To inquire into the practice of all the Surgeons or persons acting as such in the fleet or squadron to which he may be attached, and will report to the Commander-in-Chief any neglects which he may discover.
2. To suggest to the Commander-in-Chief and Commanding Officers of vessels, for their consideration and decision, the most proper measures for preventing or checking disease, or for promoting the comfort of the sick or wounded.
3. When required by the Commander-in-Chief to specify those vessels which may appear, from the state of the health of the crews, least fit for active service, or most in want of refreshments.
4. To keep a medical journal of the health of the fleet or squadron, from which he shall report to the Medical Bureau.
5. After an engagement to require a report of killed and wounded from the Surgeons of all the vessels engaged, which he will imbody in a general report and forward it to the Commander-in-Chief.